Sunday, December 24, 2006

Green Christmas

We finally made our destination. It feels so good to be staying in a home and to be far away from buses. I haven't ridden in a bus or a taxi for almost a week and it feels almost heavenly. Since we got to town we have been helping a mission in the city of Santa Cruz who is feeding 4500 homeless people for Christmas. We are the delivery boys I guess you could say, hauling ovens and an entire cow, in parts of course. Last night we went to the streets and began to hand out meals to the homeless and we literally saw people crawl out of the sewers to come have a meal. Once again I am humbled, I have learnt that I need a lot of this whole humbling thing in order for God to use me. When I look at what we have done for work in the past week, month I can´t list too many things and it frustrates me sometimes cause I am a real doer, I like to see physical accomplishment. But all three of us can quickly agree that their has been a dynamic work in progress and it has been in our hearts, in our character, the way we treat one another, our attitude towards the frustrations of cultures and the list carries on. I am beginning to grasp the concept that God will always be stretching our character and causing us to grow for as long as we all live. It is marvelous really to think that the God of all the earth takes delight in us and is not content to leave us where we are. Christmas is a heartbreaking time for us and we cannot help but think of home. When you really love people I think you really can actually hurt to not be with them. The missing home changes from memories to a pain in ones heart that makes you want to do anything to take your mind off of home. I love my family, I love them more than words can describe and I cannot help but image them at home today surrounded by all the beautiful snow. Bolivia is a different world at Christmas, there are lights everywhere and loud music to celebrate. Traditionally here the Christmas starts tonight and goes all night with loud music, lots of food and lots of family and friends. We will spend our Christmas eve at the home for homeless boys. It is where we are spending our next month. Hanging our with boys ages 10-19 who have literally come to the home straight from the streets. Tonight we will celebrate the Lords birth with them. It is truly a time to celebrate as we can see the redemptive power of Jesus in the lives of these youth. So as we are missing home in our hearts we will celebrate with our Latin brothers and sisters a green Christmas here in Bolivia! Daniel

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas guys! I miss you all tons and hope that as your Christmas is different this year, and it being very hard to be away from home, that you will still feel loved and smile as you share this day with the family around you. I pray that you are truly blessed! Have a great Christmas!
Love Kalena

Anonymous said...

Thought of you lots today, miss you and love you. Looking forward to when it will work to put pictures on the blog again. Love, Mom and Dad Klassen

Anonymous said...

Merry CHristmas from Costa Rica and I can understand that you missed your familiy a lot! blesings Kathrin

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys! I hope that as you are blessing all those boys that God continues to bless you! Missing you lots, I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!!!

Love,
Ashley

Anonymous said...

Hey guys Merry Christmas, keep living for the Lord & loving others. You inspire us to push on, and value the little things in life. God Bless

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas you guys! Your lessons in humility are what I need to be learning as well these days. May the Lord bless you guys in your friendships, finances, service, and wisdom. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG and I pray that God will bless you in amazing ways as you seek to serve Him now and into Jan. -be blessed we love you. Keep those blog entries coming.