Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Bitter Sweet Moments

Moments in life are precious and for most of us we need a good slap in the face to be reminded of how truly blessed we are. Half way done, or half way to go, depending on which way we look at, but lately for myself it has been half way done and only 6 more to go. Every traveller hits a point where they feel done, finished, ready for home, Well entering Thailand I hit that point. I felt tired of everybody selling me something, tired of having to find a new home every night, tired of ...well everything, Then to my great dismay I lost a dear close friend. Matthew was a great man. Everyone knew him for his laugh and his amazing video's. He brought so much joy to so many people and had a unique presence that made the school FGBC a much better place. The night I lost Matt I felt like giving up. Walking home in the warm night rain on the streets of Bangkok I felt so alone and abandoned. Most people would. Losing somebody close is like having a peice of yourself ripped out and you can never get it back. I know that Matt had so much love for so many, I never felt more encouraged by any person that I have ever known. Matthew had a way of making those around him feel appreciated, feel like every word or every deed that they did mattered. Death has its own way of slapping us in the face to look at our lives, to look at the moments and to cherish those around us and mostly to look up to a loving God and admit our anger, our hurt and even our dissapointment. Just when life seems to fall apart my soverign God always seems to be there. Last Sunday all of our parents came to the Bangkok airport and one day later my brother and sister Jon and Purdy came. It is the kind of moment most people dream about their whole lives. Spending my moments on the other side of the world with most of my family is a dream come true. It is the bittersweet moment that I know came just in time for a man with a broken heart. I cant even begin to share the stories but the days are filled with laughter, excitement, sun and a whole lot of brand new experiences. My heart hurts for Matt and yet I know he is experiencing a deeper peace now than he would have ever found in this life. So as I look to my moments now I cannot help but shout it out that we serve a loving good God. When life hits us in the face with pain and confusion we cannot forget the one who made it all begin. Thanks Father I am a blessed man.
Dan

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey Boys, so incredibly happy that my parents and in-laws are there spending time with you and yet so sad that it isn't me there too!
God is so good as His timing is perfect in every way - so neat to see Him at work!
I miss you three so much, PLEASE take care of my mom and dad, I need them back here (more than I care to admit!)
Miss You, Love You, Praying For you
Keli

Kate said...

We are praying for you all. We are so sorry for the loss of Matt. Lord God bless him and keep him.

Anonymous said...

I love you guys and I was praying for you Dan, your post was very truthfull and from the heart. I know how much it hurts to loose some one close and young unexpectedly.

On a side note HEY KELLY how are you and the kids. Sarah and myself were thinking about coming out for visit some time when your parents get back. Jordan is going to lend me a motor bike helmet if I get a scooter. I hope you and the family are well and you read this post some time hahha. Lots of love Alieka.

Kalena said...

It was awesome seeing the update on the blog, and so encouraging reading it. It held a lot of truth as well as much to think about and relfect on. Thank you, and I am praying for you guys, take care and have a great time. Love you lots and miss you lots, Kalena
God knows what He is doing, and He is so faithful- we truly serve and know a wonderful God!

Anonymous said...

Hi from Arlene H.
Your stories and comments are so very interesting and encouraging to me.
So sorry about the passing of your friend, Matt. Losing a loved one is not easy but I know absolutely that God can absolutely give us peace and joy in the midst of sadness. So glad your parents could be there with you at this time. How great that is for timing!!! Love you and God bless.

DeAnne said...

Hi Guys! Keli is so jealous that she didn't get to go visit you! We've been praying for each of you, and Emily will sometimes ask "where in the world are they at today?" I've also been praying for you as you grieve Matt that God would give each of you "a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair." (Isaiah 61:3). Enjoy the rest of the time with your fam and I pray that God will fill each of you with physical, mental, spiritual and emotional strenght for the rest of your journey.
Blessings!