Sunday, May 27, 2007

Phantom Pains

I have heard stories of how sometimes when a person loses a limb or a part of their body, they will have phantom pains. Basically this is their minds fooling their body into thinking that the body part is still there. It can be anything from an itch to even a sharp pain in that spot. Recently I had a very similar experience. Just a little while ago I had an incident that was quite traumatic and I lost one of my extremities. First there was the feelings of shock and then a scared feeling of "what just happened." But it was not until just this morning when I had my first phantom pains that it really hit me. I woke up in our hotel room and was getting ready for the day, when suddenly out of the blue there it was, the phantom pains. I went to put my hair into a pony and the pain hit like a semi truck hitting a deer on the interstate. No longer was I a whole person, there was something missing, that possibly could never be replaced. I stood there almost to the point of tears knowing that I had entered a new stage in life. I had joined the ranks of men and women around the world who would always think back to when they were a whole person. The pain comes and goes, but it is only when people stare, that my heart really drops and I think back, to the good ol days. A time when I could go out and not feel like I was different. So if anyone reading this can relate to my story I just want to say that your not alone. After my trip to the Barber I am no longer part of the elite group of mullet sporting people in this wide world! Lehmann

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU TURKEY !! You had my heart a-racing! So what does the 'cut' look like? or should I say shave? Ma -- too bad I'm not there to bandage it up for you!

Kalena said...

Man Jordan, you scared me... glad to know you guys are good. So what's the update on the new hair cuts... :)
Love ya and miss ya, Kalena

Kelly said...

Jord, that is the best news I have had all day!
P.S. The first comment was left by mom (in case you didn't figure that out:)

Anonymous said...

I feel your phantom pain, I was living vicariously through you as Kelly would never let me have a mullet!

Anonymous said...

what did you do??????

Pascal said...

haha great... greetings!