Sunday, May 20, 2007

India

Our time in Thailand is over and we are now experiencing all the wonderful things of India. We arrived in New Delhi on the 14th, with very little idea of where we were going and what we were doing. With a spirit of encouragement that our parents left us in Thailand we were feeling optimistic about this friend who replied to Daniel's email. This in itself showed great promise. We got ourselves involved with a small business that sets people up with tours around northern India, in order to book ourselves the best way to meet with our contact. We began to to experience the smooth side of Indian business people who are willing to be your best friend before selling you anything. This new best friend of ours explained our best route to Darjeeling... that we would need to swing by very close to the Tashma Hall, as we waited for our train there. So when we did arrive in Agra we spent our night in a hotel he had booked us in. The next morning we were ready to meet our driver for our tour of the town and of Tashma Hall, followed by getting on our train. The problem was, our driver explained to us there was no train for us to get on, and that if we wanted to catch the train he booked for us we would have to go straight back to New Delhi to make it in time. We had no time for tours, we just had to get right back in that car and drive four hours back. On the way back after driving a while our driver gets another call that we don't need to rush the train we are booked on now is going to leave the next day. We weren't very impressed with the situation and were not very willing to turn our car around to do the tours for the day, so we decided to continue back stopping to see different temples along the way. It was beginning to quite hard to keep that positive excitement that gets you through the hard times. Along with India's cultural differences, like crazy traffic, car horns that seem to be trying to cause people's ears to bleed, and a high expectation for foreigners to leave a hefty tip for every act of service. We were in serious need to find a place to chill (quite literally, 42degrees) and really find some people who were following their hearts by serving God. Our contact here was exactly what we were searching for. We came way up into the mountains into the city of Darjeeling, where our friend met us and helped us find our way around. This city is now in it's warm season as well, but we have found it to be the coldest place we've been in the last six months. These mountains are within viewing distance of the largest mountains in the world, (even Mt. Everest which I've decided to climb, maybe..) So we have now connected with the Christians in this area, and we hope to find a way to keep our days filled with work, Bible studies with the locals, and just meeting the people who live here. There are teams here also doing different programs, which has been a way for us to find good fellowship and have times of worship with them. We're praying God's blessing and protection over you guys as you move on through India. Take care. Kenton. Side note: we're looking into finding a map of this city for our friend to have and we're not very computer inclined, if anyone would have suggestions of how we could piece together a big sweet map of Darjeeling from the Internet, (maybe a good website) let us know...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys... glad to hear you've made it safely to India. I can't believe you're actually there! Sounds incredible. I can't wait to see some pictures. So I tried finding a map of Darjeeling for you and, well, I either suck at finding things on the internet or there really are no good maps of Darjeeling on the internet. The only map I could find is this terrible map at darjeelingnews.net/darjeeling_map.html. But it's a really terrible map. I wouldn't even call it a map. The only place I could actually find a good map was on a website where you have to buy the maps. It's www.worldmapstore.com. So I'm pretty frustrated right now! Sorry guys, I tried. Maybe I'll try again later when I'm not so frustrated. I'm thinking about you every day and praying for you guys. I can't believe you'll be home in like 5 months already! Time sure is flying by. Take care.

Kalena said...

Embrace the people that God puts in your path, and I pray that seeds will be planted in the lives of others and that you will also be greatly blessed. It's good to hear that you had safe travels, and that you are there. I hope the weather doesn't get too unbearable for you guys! God created all that beauty, and He wants you to see it and be part of it. Missing you all so so much!
Always in my prayers, Love Kalena

Anonymous said...

Often it is hard for parents to leave there children somewhere and now that the jetlag has stopped and our lives are back to the same old same old I thought I would write you guys. I want to thank you for the great trip we had with you. We were put at ease and really had an adventure. Thanks Dan and Kenton for putting up with my bugging you about the girls and rings and weddings and lots more. You were great sports. I must say that I really miss our times together as a group. As hard as it was to leave I,(we) know that our God is excited about your journey even more then we are. I pray that God will keep you safe and show you His glory every day. I,m proud of all of you and Jordan, Mom & I love you lots. Take care and God bless. Dad Lehmann

Anonymous said...

im glad we qualify as "good fellowship" hahaha
much love to you gentlemen.
i think God had me meet you to really make my faith trip seem more of a reality, so thank you for being who you are.oh yeah...
i wasnt joking when i said i would see you in saskatoon, i will.

Anonymous said...

ive always wanted to go to india!!!my daughter went there on a trip over the summer.she saidsheLOOOVED it!!!

Anonymous said...

My son went there on a trip over to India this summer! he was on this other faith trip and he said that it was life changing.I can see a huge, possitive spiritual difference in him. I wish I went on a trip like that when I was younger.