Monday, April 16, 2007

"Why God..."

My best friend told me the other day that every time I share a new story with her of God working in my life it reminds her of how intricately God is involved in our lives. I was thinking about this and all the conversations I have had with people all over the world. It seems that everywhere I go people are trying to come up with an explanation to replace a loving caring God. I don’t quite understand this, it almost seems as if a loving caring God seems too good to be true so people try to explain Him away or replace Him with some other religious practice that involves more rules. Well I have always been a loud preacher that our God is intimate and how He will show Himself to those who are available. Well here I am, I couldn't be more available than right now and yet it has been a really hard past few weeks. Looking back today I can of course see God's hand every step of the way but in the moment I remember being extremely confused and I even remember looking up to the raging PNG sun and wondering if God was really there. I remember the morning we tried to cross the border into Papua New Guinea. Everyone told us we needed to apply for our visa's ahead of time but the consulate was closed until the following Tuesday and this was a Saturday so we conjured up all our faith and put ourselves out on the line. I remember riding in our little mini bus on the way to the border, my 40 pound bag on my lap and having such a strong confidence that God was going to show us a miracle and get us across that border. Well 4 hours later we were back to the border town now with no money, the bank closed and huge disappointment on our hearts. I felt hurt like I had been wronged for having faith. It's easy to look back today and tell everyone "oh it was a good character building time, God always uses those moments to test us” but in that moment, I remember sitting on my backpack in that empty gravel parking lot looking out onto the open water of the ocean and asking, "why God...you really hurt me today" not that God had to get us to Indonesia, in fact He doesn’t have to do anything for us I mean really hasn’t He done enough? I have breathe everyday, that’s from Him isn’t it? So I guess what I am trying to say that in those moments when you feel like the world is falling apart and God has let you down don't forget who gave you breathe in the first place. We had a tough weekend waiting for that border to open up but I must say without it being cliché that God was leading our every step and yes my character was stretched. The day we finally got to Indonesia we caught a flight all the way to Jakarta where God blew me away. As we were standing in that airport our hearts beating faster as our bags didn’t show up I remember turning to the guys and saying, "this could really turn into a blessing, lets see what God has up His sleeve” Well a few hours later we found ourselves in a beautiful home, a bowl of rice in front of us and the experience I have always dreamed about. Do you know those times when you imagine something and how amazing it would be? "Oh that would be so cool if we could...” Well mine was to stay in the home of a Muslim family. It was a dream come true, sitting around a table shoveling down rice with our hands and talking about our faiths together. We even asked them to say their prayer in Arabic before the meal and we said ours. Lukeman, Uni, Nova, Feby and Jimmy, here's to you, you are amazing. It is times like those that make me really wonder if the God that we are serving is so much bigger than we think He is. Well to give a brief update things are looking on the up and up for us. South East Asia is an interesting world of scooters and squatty potties. We are always doing our best to be culturally involved but there is something about squatting over a hole with a water hose in your hand that just doesn’t seem right. But I suppose Malaysia is an upgrade from the Indonesian culture, which will look at you funny if you use your left hand for eating because the hose doesn’t exist in Indonesia but rather a bucket of water, you figure out the rest. We had great day touring the booming metropolis of Singapore and hope to be in Thailand in 2 days time. We are all excited to be on the road again and can’t wait for our parents to get here in 2 weeks. Things are feeling pretty positive for us and on the bright side of things Jordan finally saw the doctor about his rash he has been hiding and the doctor tells Jordan he has got to start wearing underwear, if only he had listened to his mother a long time ago, but as all rebellion has a consequence now Jordan has met his, so after he figured what size he might be after the last time (10 years ago) he got some brand new briefs. So Jordan is feeling much better and should be up and kicking in at least a weeks time. As for my skin fungus my stubbornness has yet to give in and it only grows but I am sure it will go away any day now. Well as the good Lord gives us breathe and leads our every step, we shall follow. Daniel

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Hey. i was really blessed by your honesty...thanks for sharing that, because the truth is we will all come into moments where we 'believe' that God didn't show up (at least not the way we wanted or thought it should). I'm still not in Thailand. The team will be boarding the plane on May 7th and will be arriving the same day roughly around noon. It will still be cool to connect with you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

I hadn't checked out your sight for a while, so it was interesting to get caught up. Glad to see it's not all 'smooth sailing', otherwise where would the adventure be?! As long as you are all safe that is more important than paperwork and border crossings! But I understand your frustration with crossing foreign borders, I've been in that situation too. Thanks for your stories of faith...it gives people a reason to believe in a risen Saviour! Blessings on you guys

Darryl Neudorf

P.S. Kenton, your dad is 'pumped' about coming to see you. He was just in my office jumping around - going crazy...OK maybe not jumping around but he's excited! Have a great time with your folks.

Anonymous said...

We are definiely pumped, and going crazy trying to get everything together before we leave!! 2 days to go!! We ARE very excited, and will jump up and down when we see your face in the Bangkok airport!! Mom and Dad Klassen

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dan, I really needed to hear all of that.

Sarah Korch

Aaron, Kate, Will and Wyatt said...

You guys are so hilarious...reading your blog always brightens my day. The underwear story is a classic. We're still praying so many good things for you! Safe travels for all your parents and don't worry, I'll keep Keli company. She misses you fiercely! ~Kate

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha I was really blessed by your stories of tropical forms of jock itch hahahaha. Hey Jordan maybe that is some payback for not wearing undies when you borrow my pants hahahaha. Dan prayer does heal, but men also like to ignore things just some practcal advice, but if you like I can pray for your jock itch too. Sarah graduated today yahoooo!!!! Jordan I loved chatting with you on msn, say hello to your family (sarah and myself should go see them). I love you guys tons!! lots of hugs!!.
Alieka

Anonymous said...

Hi Jordan and Crew,
It's always a good read on your
BLOG.I can't believe all your
parents are making the treck to
see you guys, that is just so
amazing...who would think that all
that is possible in such a big and
crazy world..Hugs to you all. You
are in our prayers and hearts always. Love you bunches
The Flaman's

Kalena said...

Hey guys, I hope that you have a great time with your parents! I"m looking forward to hearing about it and seeing some pictures! Have an awesome time, some new experiences, miss you lots!
Praying for you...
Love Kalena