Thursday, November 16, 2006

Costa Rica's beautiful ninios

As you can see we mostly play. We arrived to Costa Rica only two days ago but we already feel very much at home. Except for the simple fact that we can't talk to anybody. We were picked up at the airport from a German missionary who has been very gracious in letting us stay in his home while we work with a different missionary. We took the bus for 150 colones , about (20 cents) down the street where I could see a large factory. the factory turned out to be a tortilla factory and on the other side of it was a coffee factory. We walked down a long dirt road along side railway tracks until we could see small tin shacks covering the riverbank. Water was flowing from every direction and I thought there must be a lot of little waterfalls around here all running toward the river until I found out later that it was in fact the sewage system. The church is a small Lutheran church nuzzled in the center of this community. it was once illegal squatters mostly Nicaraguan but has since become land they can rent legally and once they save enough money most add concrete exterior walls and floors. The church has a small room above where the children of the neighborhood come to play during the day. today we did a puppet show but since we know very little Spanish it was very interesting. The children really are incredible. They have the most beautiful innocent smiles but they come from terribly broken homes. My eyes were certainly opened today. As I looked around the neighborhood I could not help but re-evaluate my own needs of comfort. what I carry in my backpack is probably worth more than most of the homes around me. I am glad to say tomorrow I have the gift of waking up, walking 10 minutes to the bus stop paying my 150 colones and spending another day with the ninios. Take care and pray for the children of Costa Rica Daniel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You guys look great! :)
Take care, be Blessed.
Katrina