Sunday, October 21, 2007

Blend

Basking under the Italian sun with the Colosseum in the horizon and thousand year old ruins behind me was a memory to hold. As I shiver now in the damp cold of England I can hardly believe that only 2 days ago that was my backyard, then 2 days before that it was the water streets of Venice and a day before that it was giant statues of Hungary, before that, Romanian, and before that, Ukraine. You get the picture, its been a blend of countries in a blend of days. Looking back this morning it all seems to blend together in a mixture of culture, languages and confusion. It was hard to leave Josh's comfortable Polish apartment but with every new adventure comes a slight sacrifice. After a long night on a smelly hot bus of Ukrainians we arrived to the thriving metropolis of Le Viv. We soon found out that unlike the rest of Europe Ukrainians don't bother to learn English in their schools and the the Ukrainian alphabet unlike most world languages uses completely different letters so as we stood in the bus station looking blankly at the sign in front of us it was difficult to decide where to go next. Well as always the good Lord was looking out for us and we met a translator after some time and went back to the bus station to get our ticket to Romania. Then we spent the day eating authentic Ukrainian borscht and having our own personal Ukrainian tour guide who was also our much needed translator so thanks to Nadia for being a sweetheart to 3 homeless bums in our time of need. The days really did blend together now that I think back and I know looking back that it was all by God's grace of where He has brought us today. A bed become a luxury and a shower a weekly activity as we toured Europe in what seems like only a few days. 12 months ago I think the Dan I used to be would have whined and complained and wished for a bed but it seemed to be part of the journey and I wouldn't trade it. I remember one vivid night where we slept in a train station for lack of anywhere else and we soon found out that it wasn't really a waiting room for the train but rather a haven for the homeless. The smell quickly faded but the weirdo's came in and out. This one man sat next to me around 3 in the morning gave me a look and grabbed my hand and shaking it profusely he rambled on and on in Ukrainian. I tried to motion that I didn't understand but I soon learnt that he wasn't really talking any language and wasn't too understanding of most coherent things around him. He soon pulled out a deck of cards and would have played all night had I not finally refused and curled up on my wooden chair to make it through the night. He periodically shook me through the night and would try to tell me something but with time came the morning and we got out of there as fast as we could. Europe is beautiful and the time left is short, its hard to describe the emotion I feel being so close to the end, so many stories, so many lessons spinning in my head and heart. The anticipation of familiar soil fills my dreams but I thank God for every waking moment in these next days and weeks as I am filled with His grace to be here. Daniel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone is getting anxious for you boys to be home. I pray that you will be able to soak up these last days of your journey and that God will give you strength to continue to pour out of yourselves and into the lives of those you meet. Praying that you each will finish your journey strong, and praying that he will continue to provide for each of your needs.
Love,
DeAnne

Anonymous said...

I had such a great time with you guys this past week. I miss you so badly already. I'm so excited for you guys as you are on your way home soon. I hope you're enjoying your time in Florida! Say hi to the Trosts for me. Thank you guys for all your encouragement and love. You guys mean the world to me. Kenton, give Kalena a huge hug for me! Jordan, tell Sage I say hi and sorry I can't meet her yet. Daniel... I'm SO blessed to have you in my life. There will never be the right words to express to you how much you mean to me. Thank you so much for everything. I miss you sooo sooo badly. Well, 7 more months guys and then I'll get to hang out with you again. I look forward to it. Be so blessed. I'm praying for you guys and thinking about you every day.
Love muchly,
Kendall