Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Head over heels

Africa really has been incredible so far. Our team is gelling, and is already making fun of each other. I almost cried when Stephanie made fun of my back hair tonight…o’k not really cause I knew its just cause she loves me. Everybody tries to make fun of me a lot and apparently my good buddy Nigel gave them all instructions to annoy me as much as possible. I don’t mind though cause everyone who knows me tells me that I feel loved when people make fun of me. (I’m still not too sure if this is the truth or not yet). Today as we made our daily trek down the hill we had an entire fan club of kids follow us; each one trying to hold the hand of one of the “Mzungu’s”. Zach and the team strode majestically hand in hand with the beautiful children. It didn’t take long and I began to hear them starting to sing, “I luv you Jesus dee dow in my hart…” We soon had a whole choir of singing and dancing as we trucked down the hill to find our taxi bus to the city. I was a bit afraid that Carla would try to fit one of the kids in her bag to bring with her but we eventually tore ourselves away from the children to find a bus to the city where we found a whole new adventure. Standing in the bus area it only took minutes for a crowd to gather around to watch the “show” Andrew started singing the Brad Paisley song “when you’re a celebrity” and most of the team joined in. We eventually found a bus to take us on our adventure to Kigali the capital city. It was there that my eyes were opened; I had one those feelings come over me today that only come once every few years and for some people only once ever. Its that warm weird feeling inside that anyone gets when they begin to realize that this could be much more significant than they realize. I don’t know yet if its just being far from home and here in Africa but my eyes have been opened to understand more of where my hearts really at. The climax of my feelings were met earlier today when I walked into the jewellery store to see my prize first hand. Holding it in my hand for the first time sent chills down my spine and I just quivered at the thought of slipping it on. Today I can now proudly say that I am the owner of a calculator watch. That’s right, an authentic 100% plastic calculator watch straight out of the 80’s. I still can’t even sleep for the excitement and head over heels love that is in my heart for my brand new calculator watch here in Rwanda Africa! - Daniel

No comments: